Monday, January 01, 2007

Thai at Silk - Serendra

Its the Last Day of 2006. Woke up late with no plan whatsoever so i dragged my family to have lunch out at around two in the afternoon. Options were Shangri-la's new The Ledge or my current favorite place, Serendra. My mom and sister were up for fast and casual Shang and my dad and I wanted sosyal and convenient Serendra. My dad and i were on the front seats so we won. Besides the breezy and refershing look of Serendra, the parking is absolutely free! So far that is. Most of the formal places were closed so we ended up in Thai at silk on the first cove of Serendra's walls.


The restaurant is mostly green and white - very refreshing to look at. Upon entering you'll be greeted by a scent of freshly cooked Thai food that'll make you want to order quickly... coz its so appetizing. Their menu consists of 55 food items from appetizer down to the dessert and more than half of the green silkbound booklet had wines of all kinds from different parts of the world, liquer and cocktails.



We ordered #10 Tung Tong - crispy shirmp pastry with plum sauce, #17 Yam Pla Dook Foo - crispy catfish with mango julienne salad, #20 Khaeng Khiaw Waan - Green Chicken Curry, #26 See Khrong Moo Yaang - cinnamon and lemon marinated baby back ribs, and #36 Khao Kluk Kapi - bagoong rice. The staff was friendly but I'd have to say needs a bit more training on customer relations. Maybe it was the time of day that we came but it was quite a hassle getting the waiter's attention considering we were just by the door and there were not many people dining. Anyway, the food came...


(clockwise) Green Chicken Curry, Shrimp Pastry, Baby Back Ribs and Catfish Salad

My favorite was the Green Chicken Curry. Not because i am a curry fan, but because it was really good. I actually just took the "risk" of ordering curry this time because I knew that my dad never found anyone to share his fascination for curry with anyone in his family. It was, may I say exquisite. It was not like any of the scary very Malaysian looking curry (which I though would eat me up from the clay pot). This looked tame and gentle -- forgive the personifications! Anyway, I loved it! It was mild and soothing. Not at all intimidatingly green nor was the flavor too strong that you get that "umay" after 2 bites. just right.

My sister, Keena was the one who ordered the baby back ribs. Lemon and Cinnamon sounded new and good on meat and it tasted even better! sweet, a bit of spice and very tender to the bone. When my dad blurted out "sasaidin ko na to!" (I will finish this) on the last piece of meat, my sister frowned... only means, "yum!" hahaha

The Yam Pla Dook Foo (one of the only Thai words i've learned on our visit last visit to Bangkok -- the other one being Khao Kluk Kapi - bagoong rice!) was something different. It is usually served on a shallow bowl with all the ingredients - catfish, mango, vinegar sauce and chilies tossed in. Here at Silk, the catfish is separated from the vinegar and mangoes. What made this dish it the vinegar sauce. Be sure to ask your waiter for an extra serving of the it since the one on the plate is not enough! It was sweet, spicy, sour at the same time. Very much representative of Thai culture -- exotic, colorful and just one big pleasant chaos. I even sipped the sauce all by itself!



The Bagoong Rice - which the waiter mixed in front of us before we ate.

Last but not the least, the Shrimp Pastry with Plum Sauce. It was like fried Hakaw with sweet chili sauce. Yummy! My dad loved the plum sauce! And since they give FREE jasmine rice, yes it is F-R-E-E, he jokingly said that next time he'll just order the shrimp, ask for a lot of rice and three extra plum sauce!

Eveything was good! I take it as a cue from my dad that if he doesnt ask for salt (he does most of the time) then that gets his approval. We werent stuffed, just right... feel good right.


Our bill was Php 1450.00 and using my reliable manila eating out formula -- x * 1.22 = y; where x=subtotal, y=TOTAL --how nerdy. Our total bill including 12% VAT and 10% service is Php 1769.00 (roughly $35!)

-maica

*Serendra is located at 26th Street, Fort Bonifacio, Taguig City. Beside Market! Market!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home